"Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't work." -Calvin & Hobbes

Friday, July 9, 2010

Family Gives You Thick Skin

I received an alarming voicemail from my 86 year old grandmother this morning.

"Lindsay, this is Grandma. Could you give me a call as soon as you get the message? It's very important, so please call me as soon as possible."

Oh, no. Either someone in the family is dead or Grandma needs to go in for hip surgery (or some sort of old person operation). Crikey.

So, I immediately called her back.
"Hi, Grandma. Is everything OK?"

"Oh, yes. I'm fine. Do you know a guy named __________ (we'll call him 'John Doe')."

Me, "Umm, yes."

Grandma, "Because he is here installing my new furnace and was looking at the pictures on my mantle and said, 'Hey I know that girl! We used to party together!' and I told him, 'That's my grand-daughter!'"

THIS is what was so important? I was ready to call 911 and rush over to her house to save the day.

"He's still here working right now! Do you want to say 'hi'?"

Oh my gosh. How embarrassing. If he is still there working, he is hearing this whole conversation. Fabulous.

"No, Grandma. You can just tell him I said 'hi.'"

And here is where it goes from bad to worse. I hear 'John Doe' walk by in the background and Grandma says to him, "I have Lindsay on the phone right now! She's telling me stories about you! Tee hee hee"

OH MY GOSH. Well, while it seemed that the ever-so-urgent voicemail preceding this conversation wasn't actually due to a death in the family, I could have died right then. No one would have called Grandma back though, because everyone knows that she leaves these 'urgent' messages just to get a quick response. Still works on me though.

Later that day she called me back to ask why I have never dated 'John Doe' or if I was interested. I knew there was an ulterior motive there. Surprisingly for some, I don't date every male person that I know. But this is nothing. Just wait for my next blog regarding 'The Wedding Set-Up.'

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS! I got a birthday card in the mail the other day from my Gma Stalling.... my birthday is in February!! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHAHHAHA!!! oh rita...(this is wisa)

    ReplyDelete