"Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't work." -Calvin & Hobbes

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

To Elf or Not to Elf?


I love dressing up. I think that Halloween is one of the best holidays ever invented. But alas, Halloween only comes around once a year. So if you tell me that you are going to throw a costume or theme party outside of October 31st, you had better believe that I will be there, en suit.

This year, I was invited to three Christmas parties on the same night, one of them being a themed "Elf Party." This party had been long anticipated by the hosts, and I was informed that guests were supposed to dress as elves or something Christmas-y. If a guest happened to show up without a costume, they were going to be given homemade elf headbands that they would be required to wear for the evening.

I am only one person, and could only possibly make it to two of these parties, so I went to the two that I had received invites to first. The "Elf Party" started later in the night, so I had time to grace Party #1 with my presence for a short while, then race home to change into costume and get over to the "Elf Party."

My costume was great (as usual). I could have been up at the North Pole building toys, if it weren't for my height. My craft tool belt was complete with a hammer, paint brush, wrapping paper and ribbon. On my head I had a green and red striped hat with pointy elf ears that covered my own, normal person ears. Then I wound the battery powered Christmas lights from my tree costume (Reno Santa Pub Crawl, years 2007-2009) around me, to really drive that costume home. I was sure I would take home first place in any possible contest that there may or may not be in the next few hours of my life.

The night was cold and rainy. I arrived at my second party about an hour after it started. After finally getting a hold of someone to let me into the apartment complex, I took the elevator up to the 5th floor. As I stepped off the elevator, it was obvious which apartment was having the party. Kelly and Laura's door was wrapped in festive Christmas paper with a big bow right smack in the middle. I let myself in and walked down the hallway to the living room, where everyone was gathered. As I turned the corner of the dimly lit house, my Christmas lights blinking brightly, I stepped into the crowded room where everyone turned to see what the heck it was that had just walked in. I stood there for what seemed like an eternity, staring at everyone as they stared back at me.

NO ONE HAD DRESSED UP.

Now, if you are a consistent reader of F.O.L., you know that I tend to embarrass myself regularly. I have learned to smile and shrug it off, but for those few seconds, I can only imagine the look of shock on my face. It was like a scene out of a movie. When the heck was anyone going to tell me that this supposed "Elf Party" had suddenly turned into a "Dress Adorable Christmas Cocktail Party"? Are you people really in need of a new blog post so badly that you would go to such extremes?

I removed the hat for the rest of the night and switched off the Christmas lights, but left the rest of the costume on. I didn't want to let on how embarrassed I really was! Needless to say, I will be extremely skeptical of any theme parties that I am invited to in the near future. But in the meantime, I hope that this has given you all a good chuckle. After all, I don't want my embarrassing moments to be for nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment