"Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't work." -Calvin & Hobbes

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Did I Really Just Say That?


Scene; Me, at work, doin' my sandwich thing, adorable as usual.


A boy, we will call him "Mr. X," comes in to get lunch and chat with me for the third time (maybe it's the glasses, maybe it's my amazing personality...possibly the sandwiches, but he keeps coming back). During our conversation, he finally asks me if I would like to go to coffee with him sometime. Yes, of course, so we agree on Sunday. I tell him I get off work at 1:00 that day.


Mr. X, "So 1:30?"


Me, "Well, on Sundays I have to work way too early in the morning, so I tend to just roll out of bed and come into work..."


Mr. X, "Okay..."



Inner monologue; "Stop talking."


Me, out loud, "So can we make it 3:00 so that I can go home to shower and not smell like a deli?"


Inner monologue, "Stop it. Stop talking about how you don't shower. Stop."


Out loud babble, "After all, it's N.S.S! No Shower Sunday."


"Oh my God."


"I mean, I'm not gross or anything. I brush my teeth..."


"Well, that's it. You're done for. Point of no return. Might as well start talking about your period and how you are afraid of commitment."


With a slight smirk, Mr. X says that yes, 3:00 would be fine. I suppose that since he had already asked me to coffee, he couldn't really take it back at that point, although I wouldn't have blamed him if he did.

The worst part of this story is that this isn't even the worst of the many awkward conversations that I have gotten myself into. Stay tuned for when I get up the nerve to write about those...


4 comments:

  1. 10$ says he does not show. JK! have fun LY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well problem to this solution....SHOWER for once on a sunday! geesh...one sunday shower before work won't kill ya buddy...oh boy

    -amster

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Mr. X will show. Just don't let him in on your yellow hat rule... Or is it a green hat now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete